The Figure Skating Club of Memphis is a member club of United States Figure Skating and the home club of the Mid-South Ice House. USFS is the national governing body for the sport of figure skating and is a member of both the United States Olympic Committee and the International Skating Union. The mission of USFS is to provide programs to encourage participation and achievement in the sport of figure skating. USFS is charged with conducting and sanctioning competitions and exhibitions; developing competitive figure skating at all levels; recruiting and educating skating officials and judges; and establishing the rules and guidelines by which the sport is governed in the United States for the purpose of stimulating interest in the sport. USFS prepares and selects athletes to represent the United States at international competitions, including the World Figure Skating Championships and the Olympic Winter Games.
U.S. Figure Skating, from Basic Skills FUNdamentals to the Olympics, there for you every step of the way! USFS explains the ‘Pipeline‘ of Figure Skating.
- Learn to Skate – Join our Basic Skills program at the Mid-South Ice House. Participate in organized group lessons, Basic Skills competitions, ice shows, exhibitions and more!
- Cross the Bridge – Move into the Bridge Program, which is a link between the Basic Skills program and full club membership. It introduces skaters to training programs, different disciplines, and helps them understand what is required to progress to the next level
- Test Your Skills – Become a full member and start taking official U.S. Figure Skating tests. Competitive skaters are required to participate in the testing structure to compete in qualifying competitions. The test levels are based on skill, not age, and test sessions are offered by affiliated figure skating clubs to registered USFSA members.
- Start to Compete – Compete at regional and sectional championships as well as non-qualifying events. Top qualifiers move to the next round.
- Become a U.S. Champ – Compete at the U.S. Championships. Medal winners can earn berths to major international competitions, such as the World Championships.
- Be an Olympian – Compete at the Olympic Winter Games.
If you are interested in becoming a figure skater, first sign up for our Basic Skills classes. Once you begin advancing, you will want to find a coach that you enjoy working with on the ice. Then, it’s up to you how much you practice and how far you go! See you on the ice, soon!